Sunday 16 December 2012

Hello from China!

 Hello, world!


 I am writing to you from Beijing! It is my second day here - I arrived early yesterday morning after what was by far the longest journey I'd ever made in my life. 

 I'd been to some amazing places - Barcelona, Montpellier, Paris, Brussels - but I had never been outside of Europe before Friday. So it feels like a milestone in my life, to have travelled this far, to a new continent!

 First I flew from Manchester to Amsterdam, then from Amsterdam to Moscow. I had a bit of a wait in Moscow Airport so I had a look around. There are a lot of near-identical licence-frees selling chocolate, Russian stacking dolls, wooden Santas and little painted boxes, which I may be tempted to buy on the way back. 

 I then flew on to Beijing. This last flight was seven hours long, which is shorter than those of some other people I've spoken to, but still it was a lot for me to cope with, considering the longest flight I'd been on before this trip was probably about two hours long. I tried to sleep, which was difficult, and at one point I woke up suddenly and spilt my cup of water all over myself, which was not a very nice experience. 

 But at least I had an amazing new book to read: Origins, the third in a trilogy of books called the Fourth World trilogy, by the brilliant Kate Thompson. I heartily recommend these books; they are about what makes us human and where we came from, and they contain some very out-there ideas that will really make you think. Thank you so much to my Mam and Granma for getting me this wonderful book.

 Finally we reached Beijing and I was able to say I had been in the two biggest countries in the world (by land area)  in twenty-four hours, which is pretty amazing. My world has suddenly got a lot bigger.

 I got a taxi to the accommodation at Beijing Normal University, and as we were driving along I got my first glimpses of China through the windows. It was very snowy, and there were trees that looked new to me, which were quite pretty. I also saw two magpies, which I will take as a good omen. I was a bit surprised to see magpies so far from the UK. 

 I slept for most of yesterday, then today I met my room-mate  also called Elizabeth, and some of the others on the Study China programme. We ate together in the University canteen; I had some kind of meat with rice and it was very nice. 

 We ate with chopsticks which was a bit of a challenge! When I tried I couldn't hold them properly, but one time I picked them up absently-mindedly after we had been talking and started eating and I realised I could do it! Must have been in my subconscious somewhere.

 We then went to a little supermarket and it was amazing - it looks from the front like a small shop but inside it's really big! I bought some lemon cookies and they are delicious, some bread/cake that looked interesting, and some coconut-flavour Ferrero Rocher-type things which were also very nice. 

 Tomorrow we have our opening ceremony, which I am looking forward to. It is so amazing being in China, and I can't wait for the lessons to begin! I am studying Mandarin Chinese as well as a module on "China's Economic Development and Current Issues," which should be fascinating.

 Beijing is beautiful, especially at night with all the lights, and I hope to be able to upload some photos soon.

 Thank you for taking the time to read my blog,

 Thank you especially to my brother for sending me the very first Chalet School book which I had wanted for ages to be able to read but couldn't get hold of.

 Thank you to everyone who has sent me lovely, kind emails - computer access here is difficult at the moment but I will reply to each of you individually when I can.

 Love to you all,

 Liz x

2 comments:

  1. Hi
    you're doing really well. Have a super time,
    love mam xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Liz
    How great it is to be able to read your blog and share your experiences with you. What a fantastic opportunity for you and I know how proud of you your mum is.
    I hope you have a great time there. I shall keep reading your blogs. Enjoy yourself and have a great Christmas.
    Andrea Westhead x

    ReplyDelete